In September 1989, James commenced as a reader with Mr John Middleton (as he then was – now his Honour Justice Middleton of the Federal Court) at Aickin Chambers.
Memberships and Qualifications
- Last year James became a Nationally Accredited Advanced Mediator, and since then his practice has included numerous mediations, the majority concerning commercial and intellectual property disputes.
- James is a member of CommBar and have been a member of the Victorian Bar Dispute Resolution Committee and the Legal Assistance Committee.
- In September 2005, he obtained a Private Pilot’s Licence, which has led to an increasing interest and participation in aviation law matters. James am a former State President of the Victorian Chapter of the Aviation Lawyers Association of Australia and New Zealand (ALAANZ) and remains a committee member of that organisation.
- James is a former member Board of the Aviation Safety Foundation of Australia (ASFA) based in Canberra, which was until recently chaired by the former Minister for Transport, The Honourable John Sharp, and has lately merged with the international Flight Safety Foundation.
- James continues to receive aviation law briefs emanating from the FSF.
Pro Bono Work
- James has, for many years, been on the PILCH list and have from time to time conducted proceedings and applications, particularly concerning tenancy disputes, on a pro-bono basis.
- In addition, James has, on many occasions, offered to act and have acted pro-bono for persons who have appeared in Court unrepresented.